[VAC] Communicating while on the road

1 - While traveling with other couples on caravans, the cell phone is our choice. All full timers
we know have cell phone service with a monthly fee for a prescribed number of minutes. Neither we
nor anyone we know uses all their monthly minutes. As a result, all of us are at ease using our cell
phone whenever we're so inclined.

Once during the Colorado River Caravan in March 2001, I was delayed getting back to the campground
so I called the family next door and they told Sandie I'd be later than expected. The family next
door was just leaving Wal-Marts for the CG. Access to others without them being home. Convenient?

As an aside, recharging the cell phone from our solar panels via the inverter is how we do it
when boondocking and not towing for a few days. When on a hookups site, we use the electrical
charger. When towing, we plug into the cigar lighter in the truck. The truck's alternator is more
than sufficient for our daily use and recharging.

2 - Our pocketmail device is used daily with our kids, my Mom and a few select friends. At $100 for
the device and $100 for unlimited use of the 800 number, we'll keep it another year or until
something new comes on the market. For us, this is the cheapest way to stay in touch while on the
road. It's also extremely convenient when coordinating plans with others who are traveling.

All it takes are agreements of when to use a pay phone to check for a reply. We've had daily running
conversations with another couple while both of us were traveling hundreds of miles apart. It was
simple to set up a rendezvous campground where we parked together for a few days.

It's also convenient when our kids use both the pocketmail and laptop address. One or the other of
our computers is in use every day, but both may not be on line each day.

3 - Friends of ours have an Arch pager and emailer which costs about the same as pocketmail. Our
friends are satisfied with them. I don't know if there is a length of message limitation. Check with
someone who is actually using one for more information. My first impression is the keyboard is too
small for my nimble fingers which easily dance out 60 words per minute on a standard keyboard. I'm
reluctant to regress to one finger typing.

4 - CB radio is usually our device of choice when we are traveling with other couples on caravans
AND when they are no more than a few miles from us. Beyond that, we use the cell phone.

5 - We access all our email subscriptions from my laptop every couple of days. Data ports at CGs and
fuel stations are increasingly available. It's no longer necessary for me to "be creative" about
accessing a data port. With homework done ahead of time, I can use local phone numbers all across
the continent. If none are available, I use an 800 number ($5 for 60 minutes) while downloading
email with a "flash session." I never surf the net with the 800 number.

Having access to 502 other Airstreamers every day on the Vintage Airstream Club (VAC) subscription
list is useful for dealing with problems that are not immediate, whether I'm looking for advice and
suggestions from VAC members or they are looking for advice and suggestions from me.

In a way, the reciprocal aspect is like visiting (even consulting) with friends while we're
traveling. Sandie and I know many of these owners personally from caravans, rallies and seminars
we've presented. There's a sense of camaraderie among friends. There are some VAC members we're only
acquainted with from their email conversations. With them, it's an opportunity to begin developing
new friendships.

My preference is to receive at least 50 Airstream postings per day. I especially like it when there
are a hundred a day. It's like picking up an interesting book and reading paragraphs written by
friends who write exclusively about topics near and dear to my hobby of restoring old Airstreams.
The time it takes to read these paragraphs is a fraction of what we used to spend reading job
related materials when we were working stiffs.

Recently, I subscribed to the Airstream List (owners with any age Airstream), the Airstream B190 Van
list and the Airstream Motor Home list. We've been toying with the ideas of towing one of our small
Vintage trailers with a modern B Van. A Vintage Motor Home has a subtle allure that we've never
considered. Now that there's an egroup for them, this could be an easy way to learn more. The B and
MH lists have substantially fewer members and only add a few more moments to our daily reading.

Joseph, if these perspectives add to your list, be my guest. When you slip in a little humor between
each change of topic (as a segway), it'll be even better. Please send me an email copy of what you
present. I have more than a casual interest.

Take care,

Terry
mailto:tylerbears@airstream.net
1963 22' Airstream Flying Cloud
1967 22' Airstream Safari
1977 31' Airstream Excella 500
1986 32' Airstream Excella
1975 Mercury Station Wagon 460 CID with factory trailer towing package
1977 Ford E250 Chateau Van 460 CID with factory trailer towing package
1986 GMC 1500 6.2L diesel with factory trailer towing package