[VAC] Re: Brake Replacement on a 1968 Caravel

I just completed replacing the brakes on my 63 Globetrotter. I bought
new Dexter backing plates with all the hardware and bakes shoes from my
local NAPA dealer. I used 12x2 electric brakes from Dexter's 4000-6000
lb 655 and 865 Hub Group. He also had the bearings, races and seals.
Dexter has a web site at

http://www.dexteraxle.com/product_literature/

and has detailed data available on the parts. I was lucky and the
previous owner supplied  receipts for all service work for the last 6
years and I knew that the GT had Dexter hubs and brakes. I think my 63
came from Airstream with Kelsey Hays brakes and read in the archives
that the Kelsey Hays drums may not work with the Dexter backing plates.
The populated backing plates were $48 each. Bearings were $16 and
$10.77.  I also had the old drums turned auto parts store.