[VAC] Re: water pump

Robert-
I'm going through some issues with the onboard pump myself.  I've got a PAR pump (peters and russell).  It runs but I couldn't get the system to pressurize.  I disassembled the pump and the rubber seems find.  No signs of dry rot but the valves appear rigid.  Should they be pliable?  And about how long does it take to pressurize.  I kind of cheated and charge the system using city water then switched to the freshwater tank with no success.  Is there a check valve prior to the inlet?  In taking off the hose leading to the pump I noticed coiled wire in the hose.  Is this to retain it's shape and keep it from collapsing?