[VAC] 86 excella for $10k?

Hi Rusty Coonfield,

Price is about right if everything is in tip top condition (demonstrated) and no body damage. If you
do go this route, it's best NOT to skimp AT ALL on the tow vehicle. The mid 1980s were a time in our
culture when the economy was strong and labor problems were not a big issue. That's a plus.
The above three ideas may be of some help. Now - a couple of examples just for the fun of it.

1 - Our '86 32' is a solid unit with only those problems associated with prior owner negligence. One
expense was when an electric line (laid out in a field by the CG owner) was wired incorrectly and
fried our refrigerator. The CG replaced the fridge. Since then, I leave the fridge plug disconnected
so it only operates on propane until after we've been hooked up to electric for a day or two and are
confident there are no brown outs, black outs or irregularities in the power stream. That's in
addition to me always using my 120 volt tester on the utility post before I even park on the site.
With a new fridge, I'm probably being overly cautious, but .. so be it.

2a - If you are planning on extensive cold weather use, it might be prudent to look for a model with
the thermopane windows. They are generally known to have 8 times the insulating qualities of regular
glass windows. I mention this only because we used our '86 32' in Florida last winter where
temperatures seldom went below freezing at night (even in the panhandle). Yet, we were always aware
of the cooler temperature adjacent to the three windows in the living room. This occurred in spite
of using the regular furnace, a small cube heater in the back and a 15,000 BTU ceramic heater in the
living room area.

2b - This year, we're using our '77 31' in the southwest (including Colorado) where nights can turn
cool or downright cold immediately after sunset. During this last week, while visiting our son, DIL
and grand daughter in Colorado Springs (at 8,000' in the Black Forest), the nights have been in the
mid 20s with snow and freezing rain every other day. The days warm up into the 40s and occasionally
into the 50s. Keeping the interior of our Airstream warm has been profoundly easier and there is not
a noticeable difference in temperature between sitting near a window or a wall. We have used our
regular furnace only to keep the water tanks warm (I put an inside outside thermometer probe down
there) and I keep our 6100 BTU catalytic heater on the lowest setting. It's a much different
experience than with our single pane windows in the '86 32' Airstream. Rusty, this is just food for
thought. I have no idea of how you plan to use your Airstream.

Incidentally, we have cut our visit short because an impending storm is forecast to bring even
colder temperatures (in the teens). Sometimes, we're risk takers, but we aren't cocky foolish. We
had hoped to continue traveling directly east to our place near Vermont (in New York State). If
really cold weather actually occurs with this storm and the next two, we'll keep revising to a an
increasingly more southerly (longer) route.

Bottom line, take your time deciding. There are hundreds of excellent buys available. You already
know the economy is turning the sale of RVs into a buyer's market. Perhaps it'll make sense to
capitalize on that factor.

Terry
mailto:tylerbears@airstream.net