[VAC] Re: Expanded question '48 Trailwind 'Track' Measurement w/illustration

Tuna:  I don't know the answer to your question re original axle length, but
I'll take a wild guess and say that even if you keep the new axle at the shorter
length, that independent suspension thing doesn't look like a good thing.  I
thought one of the purposes of replacing the frame was to improve on the flaws
of the pipe frame?  Can you construct a ladder frame by attaching all the
cross-members together, in whatever way distinguishes them from pipe frames?  I
would think this is your opportunity to make those kinds of alterations and you
would not be wise to pass it up.  Even maybe wait for Kimm Flatt to score us
some of those titanium I-beams he mentioned.  I'm pretty sure he meant to get
them for us for free `:P (<-- in case you can't tell, that is an extremely
wicked look)

I guess I don't understand why you seem to think wider or narrower might make a
difference to the independent suspension, or a difference to whether it is a
good thing or not?  I would have thought the main difference a shorter axle
could make is whether the wheels still fit into the wheel wells.  Are you asking
whether you should stay with this slightly shorter axle (eg stability issues),
or whether you need to make changes to the frame either because of or regardless
of the axle length (flexion issues), or what?

--Sarah

PS that must have been some blowout!  Makes me want to be VERy careful about
tire, wheel & hub maintenance!