[VAC] Trailer Balance and Sway

Hi Jim & Harvey - AMEN!! and double dittos (see below for your comments),

During our travels, we see many lightweights towing heavyweights. It seems doubly incongruent in the
western states where the challenge of mountains (height/descent) and gusting winds are prevalent.
There are other challenges, but these should be blatantly obvious to the most novice of drivers.

Four days ago, we again towed Raton Pass from the south (IMHO - harder than from the north). The two
lightweights ahead of us were barely managing 20 mph. There was no question each 18 wheeler's "wind
kiss" kept them bright eyed and bushy tailed. With a stiff headwind, increasingly thining air and no
reserve power to accelerate (and keep the string taut), their only option for controlling a tendency
to sway was to brake (and go slower). Intentionally braking while the grade is steep and the top is
far off can be a hard decision to make.

Limited options don't engender confident actions. Wives and kids know whose decision it was to take
them into this dangerously vulnerable situation. Dad's white knuckles tell an understandable story.

The down hill side of the mountain (going south to north) is equally difficult. Even with our 3/4
ton Van's big brakes, the Airstream's four evenly adjusted brakes, a brake controller that lets me
add amps on the fly and down shifting the van, the northern side descent of Raton Pass can be
equally challenging with its many curves and varying angles of gusting winds.

Granted, some people use their RV lightly and don't see the need for being ready to take decisive
action when faced with the worst case scenerio, but they and their families are on the road with us
and among us, in all kinds of weather and in every type of road condition. My only option is to
continue being vigilant and to give them a wide berth (a mile in front or a mile behind me).

These comments don't begin to address the heightened need for general maintenance when using a
mechanically marginally equipped tow vehicle. It seems to me that towing a restored Vintage
Airstream filled with hopes and dreams of its owners should be a joyful event. Perhaps it is and
perhaps some of these folks are unaware of how close they are to major difficulties.

Enough of my bias. None of us is perfect and I have my share of flawed thinking,

Terry
mailto:tylerbears@airstream.net