[VAC] Bath Floor Rot

I have been noticing some softness in the back of the bathroom floor in our ’67 Globe Trotter.  The previous owner had replaced some of the flooring in this area but obviously the problems have returned.  I have been monitoring the discussions on floor replacement and guess I can either cut it out and replace, or use penetrating epoxy BUT….  I need to get a better idea of what I am in for since I do not want to start and be without a trailer for the next year or so.

The toilet makes a gurgling noise whenever I step on the floor in front of the toilet.  I can tell there is a frame member running roughly through the center of the bath, but everything behind this seems soft. The back of the wall has dipped maybe 1/8 – 1/4 inch.  This was enough to create a small crack in the plastic at the junction of the sink and wall riser.

I replaced the rear angle iron holding tank support last year.  What actually holds up the back end of the floor?  Can I get at it by removing the sheet metal divider inside the rear hatch?  Since the hatch is wider than the problem area, I may be able to slide a new piece into place trough the hatch opening.  Or maybe slide something under the floor to act as a stiffener, but I expect that gurgling noise is from the top of the black water tank being pressed as I step on the floor.

I would prefer to avoid tearing out the whole bath, but this would allow me to add a gray water tank.  I would appreciate your comments and, if anyone has pictures of a repair in progress, or an exploded view showing the rear construction, I would like to see them.

Thanks,

Jim Quiggins

“67 Globe Trotter, Houston

jquig@designfusion.com