[VAC] Re: Towing a 1968 17' Caravel

My dad towed his '68 Caravel with his '86 F-150. He sold the truck to me
thinking it was too much overkill for the Caravel and bought a 3.0 L
Ranger (manual transmission). I'm sure he used a load equalizing hitch,
but no sway bar. He said the Ranger would haul the Caravel, but it sure
knew there was something back there (unlike the F-150 that seemed to be
unloaded). He admits that on some hills that he had to goose the engine,
pop the clutch, and spin the tires because there wasn't enough torque to
do a gentle start. The automatic transmission should do better.

I now pull that same Caravel with a '98 F-150 and I like the
combination. The Caravel doesn't drop gas mileage much (accompanied by a
speed decrease from the posted limit down to 50 mph, and I'm sure my dad
didn't pull over 45) and has lots of confidence in any terrain.

I think the Ranger is light enough that you will want a sway bar as well
as equalizing hitch to keep from being blown around when passed by semi
trying to blow the dust off the road.

I have modified my F-150 (that was only rated at 2200 pounds towing)
with 4.10 rear axle gears. Now I rate it at 4700 pounds towing. Last
fall I towed 7400 pounds of wagon and beans to the elevator with it, on
nearly level roads and keeping the speed under 20 mph. Stopping on
gravel without brakes on the wagon from any higher speed could have
become far too exciting.

Gerald