[VAC] Re: Trailer Balance and Sway

Harvey,
 You're right that it's a bit harder to get a well-designed TT
off-balance than it is to improperly load a utility trailer. However:

This trailer isn't new, so: are the batteries installed? (mine are under
the front couch, so would affect the tounge weight negatively if
missing) How about the propane tanks?

In any event, you can't tell by looking at the thing, you must actually
WEIGH it to be know what's going on. It's like discussing whether that
board is closer to 6' long or is only 3' long: don't waste time talking,
MEASURE it.

You'll get no argument from me on the tow vehicle. Although I've seen a
34' A/S towed with a 1/2-ton 'burb, I also heard later that those folks
put their rig upside down or into a ditch or something equally
disasterous.

The biggest thing that a too-light tow vehicle lacks is what I call
"stiffness". Some of that is tires and suspension, as you mention. Two
things would help in the "stiffness" department: a rear sway bar like
you see on the front of most vehicles that connects the LH and RH
wheels, and a connecting link between the axle and the frame. This looks
like a tie rod, runs horizontal behind the rear axle, and is sometimes
seen on the front of 4WD trucks. The purpose is to totally prevent any
sideways movement of the axle in relation to the frame. IMO, this would
add immeasurably to the handling of a tow vehicle.

Unfortunately, adding this sort of stuff still leaves you with a 1/2-ton
truck at its heart. It has a THM 700R4 transmission instead of the
heavier outfit used in the 3/4-ton, it has a lighter frame, smaller
radiator, smaller brakes, lighter rear axle (maybe), etc. I found our
Dodge 1/2-ton truck to be a bit on the light side after going to a 6000#
trailer, and finally decided to bite the bullet and get what I really
needed.

You're right about the Avion frame. Our 1973 has 3 longitudinal
box-section members, running from front to rear, no wimpy channel. It
also has a very unusual suspension that appears to weigh more than the
Henschen axles used by A/S. It's a 25' trailer, and weighs about 5300#
empty, but with batteries and propane tanks. When ready to roll for a
trip, it's close to 6000#, with about 750# on the tounge.

We go through this again and again: "Can I tow this (insert trailer
model & weight here) with my (insert lightweight tow vehicle model
here)? Someone needs to write an FAQ that pulls no punches and
recommends what the newby NEEDS, not what he or she might be able to get
by with if towing is restricted to flat land, no wind, and no semis
passing. If you insist on using that (insert lightweight tow vehicle
model here), it would be best to look for a trailer that's well within
its limits. Otherwise, figure on a replacement tow vehicle as part of
the purchase of the trailer.

                                         <<Jim>>