[VAC] Re: Blackwater Tank Removal and Repair

Chris,

Good work!  Now that you've got it disassembled it is all pretty simple.

The notch for the drain valve and fitting in the angle iron at the rear of
the tank can easily be cut into a new angle iron support with a file, bench
or hand grinder, or torch.   Don't be afraid to discard the old angle brace
if it is rusted.

You didn't mention in your post where you live but if you live in a larger
city or an industrial area there may be someone in your locale who can
perform a hot air weld repair of your tank.  I think it is a fairly common
procedure in the plastics industry.

I have heard the opinion expressed that old tanks are brittle and will
remain easy to break again.  I don't know whether that is true.  Nick Novia
has expressed satisfaction with the plastic weld job he had done and it is
cheaper and easier to repair your existing tank if possible rather than
purchase a new tank because no modifications are required.

It is also hard to locate a tank which is precisely correct because
Airstream and Airstream's original suppliers no longer offer the original
tank.

I found a new replacement tank for my '66 Safari but it is a generic tank
with the same general external measurements.  It did not include the notch
across the rear as the original was molded which provided space for the dump
valve and gray water line connection downstream of the valve.  So the new
tank requires some modification of the dump valve location, drain line, and
gray water line connection.

If you decide to search for a new tank my suggestion would be to ask on list
for sources.  Several list members have accomplished the same
repair/replacement and may be able to offer sources for a tank that will be
a perfect match.  If you can obtain a tank molded of ABS plastic my
understanding is regular ABS plastic cement from any home improvement store
can be used to glue fittings on.  If you are forced to buy a replacement
tank molded of polyethylene as I was it is a little harder to attach the new
vent, toilet, and drain fittings.

Harvey Barlow