[VAC] Re: bearing temps

Toby,
I seem to remember an Airstream advertising campaign in the mid to late 70's
that went something like this...

"They will go wherever you take them...up to 100 mph."

I would never recommend or try it though. I am sure that they were only
referring to their new trailers, not the older ones. Several "old timers"
(those who were around in the 50's and 60's) I have met in the WBCCI have
said to never exceed 50 mph. I imagine that at one time this was the
recommended maximum speed. A combination of many factors may have lead them
to come up with this 50 mph max.

One major factor would be tow vehicle. Back when we towed with a car, (or
even a medium large pickup) the trailer handled much more solidly and under
control at 50 than at 65. Now I use a full size truck and am careful about
how I pack the trailer. The trailer is now very well behaved at whatever
speed we are willing to drive.

Other factors may include design (balance) changes in the trailer, road
conditions, speed limits, changes in hitch design, and even changes in our
culture. I don't imagine that wheel bearings would be a limiting factor.

Scott Scheuermann