[VAC] Bicycle towing an Airstream

Back in June 1999 at the International Rally in Dayton, Ohio - I was among a group of five Vintage
Airstream Club members who towed Clyde Wagner's 1948 Airstream Zephyr using Clyde's specially
modified bicycle. Since that experience, I am certain that on the day when Airstream christened this
logo, it was a very long day with many "takes" before the final photograph was satisfactory.

I don't know how many minutes any bicycle rider can actually tow an Airstream, but I can personally
attest to the difficulty of simultaneously exerting massive amounts of physical energy pedaling it
and using maximum arm strength and hand grip to maintain my balance. During the short time I pedaled
all by myself without Clyde's help with balance, the minutes did not fly by; instead they passed at
an agonizingly slow rate. I was surprised by how little progress could be achieved in spite of a
hemorrage of energy to my legs, arms and hands.

The Airstream seemed to always be on the verge of having complete control of where it and I were
going.The direction it wanted to roll was instantanously translated from my slightest, almost
imperceptible shift in balance.

Even the most insignificant upward incline in the parking lot added a profoundly greater degree of
difficulty to the task. It felt like I was climbing a mountain with a 100 pound sack of potatoes
strapped to each leg and each arm while I aggressively used every bit of my power, thrust and
balance control that I could muster.

If Clyde's bicycle frame had not been modified for greater strength, I believe any one of the five
of us could have bent it with the intense torque each of us put to it. I have a profoundly greater
appreciation of the job our tow vehicles are doing each time they tow one of our Airstreams.

For me, the experience was an intensely satisfying one. I was thrilled to have the opportunity
because I always wanted to tow an Airstream with a bicycle. Now, I have proof (a framed picture)
that I did it, I really did it. But....., this is one "brag" picture where only I know how close it
was between success, almost success and how much effort I put into it.

Terry
mailto:tylerbears@airstream.net