[VAC] Re: bearing temp.

Bill,
 The gadget that I have is a "Raytek MiniTemp" and reads up to about 350
degrees, IIRC. It has a laser in it to assist in the pointing. It reads
a spot about 1" dia. at 6" distance, up to 4" dia. at 24" distance from
the surface to be measured. Although I found mine at NAPA, I've seen 'em
in some catalogs also.

On our trip, the truck tires would generally read 75 -> 90 degrees, the
trailer tires were at 60 or so, depending on ambient temperature and
whether the tires were in the sun. The wheel hubs would read the same as
the tires on the trailer.

The temperature gun cost just under $100.00 and is useful for other
purposes. As an example, we had trouble once with a freezeup on our
fresh water system. After that, I'd check the temperature of the tank
outlet fitting, and would add heat if it dropped to near freezing. You
can check your tow vehicle's radiator to see if you have a plugged
tube(s) (plugged tubes will be cold), you could check all the exhaust
manifold branches to find a cylinder with a miss, etc.

                                           <<Jim>>