[VAC] Re: wheel bearings

I have also been concerned about the  wheel bearings on my 1961 Tradewind
single axle with leaf spring suspension. A year or so ago I replaced the
bearings and seals. I used Mobil 1 synthetic grease. On the first trip I was
worried they were running too warm but the traveling air temp was 103-105F,
it was very hot. A later trip, they seemed to run barely warm. I would like
to here more opinions and facts on this subject, because it is such a
critical area of the trailer and it is hard to know the best grease and
tightening method. Everyone seems to have a different opinion. Also for
others with leaf spring axles, I would like to know if your spring hangers
hang low. It appears that that the hanger and ends of the U bolts would be
on the ground if a tire went flat, they seem to stick down farther than  the
wheel rim.  Phil