[VAC] Re: Tankless water heaters: travel time to tap?

My experience with tankless water heaters is limited to Central America,
where they are common in homes, hotels and offices, and indeed it is rare to
find a tank.  In Belize and Guatemala at least they are usually powered by
butane, rather than propane.

They seem to provide almost instant hot water, and while I don't have the
specs I don't think they "waste" any more water due to water running through
them than a tank would waste due to water in the pipes.

The main disadvantage of these systems in Central America is that sometimes
they are haphazardly installed -- electrical wires left exposed, butane tanks
not secured properly, and so forth.  Taking a shower sometimes is an
adventure.

--Lan Sluder
Belize First Magazine
http://www.turq.com/belizefirst/