[VAC] Carry a Vespa In An Airstream

Sarah,

Your instincts are correct.  Adding a few hundred pounds of weight to either
end of the A/S is not a good idea as it will stress the frame and could
cause some separation from the body at the rear.

The floor repair/reinforcement discussions normally deal with rotted floors.

If a person simply must transport a light weight motorcycle in an A/S, my
suggestion would be to place an additional piece of 2" by 6" lumber or a
long piece of 1/2" or thicker plywood on the existing floor to spread the
weight and stress, place the motorcycle on top, and secure the motorcycle
firmly so it can't bounce around and tear up the interior.  I would "park"
the motorcycle over and slightly forward of the trailer axles.

Do people find the joists bent & twisted when floor or belly pan is removed
or do they generally
> seem to have held up pretty well?

No, I don't thinkk so and yes.

Also, is any amount of weight on the tongue okay as long as it's balanced so
the actual tongue weight is right for the hitch?

The trailer would probably tolerate an additional 200 pounds on the tongue
but I think over the axle(s) would be preferable.  I don't remember if you
stated the lenght of your trailer and whether it is single or tandem axle.
That is a factor to consider.

Harvey Barlow
Lubbock, TX
WBCCI # 1171, WDCU, VAC