[VAC] Re: tankless water heaters

seriously, check out the specs on the two takagi units:

http://www.galacticsalvage.com/takagi_specs.html

Jill -

Bottom line on tankless heaters is GPM (gallons per minute) at 'rise'
(temperature, hot water output - cold water input = rise). The colder the
input water, the fewer gallons per minute and/or lower the output
temperature.

I installed the natural gas version of the cheaper TK-1 in my house last
year. It produces 4.3 (four-point-three) GPM at a normal 'rise'. On
extremely cold winter days, the GPM went down pretty quickly. Even at max
GPM, it takes some pretty artful manipulation of the shower controls to
produce a reasonably powerful hot shower, although i haven't tried it with a
real water-saver shower head.

If the TM-1 ('Mobius') - with its 8.3GPM capacity - had been available at
the time of purchase, i'd have sprung for it, instead. When i build an
'ohana unit' over the proposed detached garage, i'll probably move the TK-1
over there, and install a TM-1 in the main house.

Note that the various manufacturers make it hard to compare GPM - I really
researched this last summer - and the Takagi unit is head-and-shoulders
above the rest, and priced accordingly.

I too noticed the discrepancy between the Paloma unit's contradictory
RV/Marine applications policy... I expect that this is a simple
'butt-coverage'/product-liability issue. Careful installation is the key to
maximize performance of any appliance.

For my money, the LPG version of the TK-1 would probably be the
minimally-adequate unit for hot shower/bathing use. If one digs into the
Paloma and Aquastar specs, one soon realizes that it would (at best) provide
only lukewarm water at a little more than a moderate spray-shower.

Look again at the dimensions of the TK-1/TM-1... they're not that much
bigger than the weeniest Paloma, when one factors in the clearances needed.

Another consideration is the burner ignition. In the units requiring a .8
(point-eight)amp 110vAC power supply, this could be provided through an
inexpensive inverter on a 12vDC system - it's only on for a second or two,
when the heater ignites.

Tuna