[VAC] Various subjects

Dear VAC List,

Have been reading for a month and have some comments.
Dry rot is caused by water and poor ventilation.  Read
any wooden boating repair book for details on cause
and how to avoid.  Epoxy is the only way to go when
attempting to saturate dry rot sections, several
products on the market.  Get-Rot is one that I have
used on boats and houses, it is available at marine
stores.  Any epoxy can be used by thinning with
solvent to make it very runny.  In use, multiple small
holes are drilled in the rotted area and the epoxy
applied until the area will accept no more.  This
usually take a little while and then it takes a few
days for the epoxy to set.  Depending on how much
stress the area is subject to, one might want to
reinforce it with a layer or two of fibre glass and
epoxy after.  Polyurthane just does not have the
strength or flexibility of epoxy, but it is cheaper in
price.

If I were completely redoing an AS and it had aluminum
wiring it would be replaced, other than that it would
not be a worry.  Lots of houses built in the early
60's have AL wiring and no problems.  Problems come at
the terminations, if they are checked for tightness
annually and maybe treated with AL-Anox, that should
be all that is necessary.  Proper fusing should take
care of any overload and heating that would cause
wiring failure.

We tow our 69 Caravel with an Astro van and except for
some mountains that require 2nd gear, we have no
problems.  After driving a 23 ft motorhome and being
pushed over by the big rigs, I now have to be more
alert because they are now almost past before I am
aware of them.  The Caravel and van just do not move
or sway the way I was used to.  I am trying to develop
the habit of more side view mirror use.

Any opinions on the choice of Lexan or Plexiglass for
a  front window stone guard?

Are the backup lights worth the effort to get them
working?  Or should after market lights be installed
  above or under the bumper?

Carole and Rob
69 Caravel

Is the dry ice dent removal method in the archives?