[VAC] Re: Towing With A Short Wheel Base Tow Vehicle

It would be nice if everyone could have the benefit of some of the talks given
at the get togethers about towing, hitches etc....before they were going to
select their "ideal " combination of trailer and puller....There are some
considerations that should not be left out of the mix no matter how brave and
or trusting the new owner might be.... I say this after making my first buy at
25 years old and remembering that at that time I was absolutely bullet
proof....today I am more cautious after having been in the ditch a time or
two....

1. Bigger trailers need bigger tow vehicles... How much might be topic for
discussion, but flat land towing in bright sunlight with no other traffic
should not be the assumed conditions ....Stuff happens, usually when these
conditions do not exist...

2. Speed is definetly a factor... Everyone wants to be able to run the
expressway with the other caravaners at one time or other.. If they can go
that fast, it must be OK for me....50 miles an hour is pretty stable for our
23' with the Silverado Pickup.. At 70 I start to get the feel that I have
traded my Rebocks for roller skates....and the next truck might shove me
aside....

3. Some help can be had with special hitches... $2500 to Hensley might make a
given combination more stable ...

4. Everyone has to eventually make their own decisions and has to take the
responsibility for them... leaning toward the " what can I get away with if
nothing happens" rather than what is the best combination for the full mix of
conditions will catch up with everyone in time....

5.  Last but not least, will I always have my most experienced driver at the
wheel.....You can get away with a lot with enough experience to keep you away
from the dangerous situations.... Less experienced can be killed in the same
conditions....

Conclusion... If you are starting from no equipment the selections might be
easier... If you have the puller, or if you have the trailer, selecting an
appropriate "other part" of the equatioon is essential.... If you select a
trailer that is more sizeable than others, you better trade in that favorite
SUV for something more 'truck like".  The staying on the side roads is a cool
idea until you have signed up to be somewhere and you head for the freeway....

Best wishes... remember the chance to make those decisions is what we have all
been working for....

Jim