[VAC] Re: Brake Control _ Newbie Question

Hi Greg,

My tow vehicle is a '92 Land Rover Defender 110, with the same engine as
your Range Rover.  I put Old Man Emu HD springs in the rear and
reconnected the brake controller the PO had used for her horse
trailer.   Your Range Rover is rated at around 1700 lbs towing capacity
for trailers without brakes (or trailers with brakes, but not
connected).  The capacity for trailers with brakes is about 6500lbs.

Having said that, we towed our1965 Land Rover with my 1996 Disco without
having the brakes connected.  This was from Palo Alto, CA to Ukiah, CA
on hwy 101.  We went over several large hills, and while things didn't
feel that great, it was passable.  So, if your trailer is less than
3800lbs (which I'd guess it is), and you are going on flat country
roads, you'll probably be OK.  However, I don't think it's that hard to
install a brake controller in your vehicle.  The one I have is very
standard.  I don't remember the brand, but it's the same that all the
trailer stores I've browsed sell.

Hooking the brake light up is a very bad idea.  The controller sends
variable voltage and pretty high current.  Since the brake lights are
low current and on/off voltage, you are almost certain to at least pop a
fuse when braking.

The 110 tows our 19' Globetrotter just fine.  The hills aren't bad at
all (towed it on I5 between Sequim, WA and the SF Bay area), and on flat
ground it makes no difference in gas mileage (I guess I've been leaving
a 19' vacuum behind me all this time!).

Now, about the Grand Wagoneer.  It's probably a much better (if slightly
less stylish :-) tow vehicle.   I don't know what your mechanical
ability is, but it's usually easier to get work done on a Jeep than a
Land Rover.  At first, this is just for the brake controller, but later,
it will be to correct wear on the Rangie accumulated via towing.
Perhaps you should hold the Rangie in reserve for trailerless trips, and
tow with the Wagoneeer?  I do, however, like the idea of aluminium Land
Rover products towing aluminum Airstream products.

Good luck, and play it safe--get the trailer brake installed!