[VAC] Re: Skin damage and water heater

Since the other guys jumped on the metal question, I'll tackle the water heater. It's UGLY. Seriously, the folks at Airstream, at least the guy with the Vulkem, took any penetration in the skin very seriously. They wanted to make sure it would never leak. As a result you will find, given that is an original factory installed water heater, that taking the screws out is the easy part. Of course a power screwdriver is a good thing. Once you have the screws out and the plumbing disconnected (sweated loose) you still have to cut the heater out. Pull the flanges that the screws were in toward the middle of the heater. Behind them you should be able to see gray Vulkem. Using a long blade knife, push in and cut around the heater to release it. Once you have worked your way around the heater should pull out.
I'm going to bet, however that the leak you are seeing is actually coming front bottom of the heater tank. Electrolysis/dissimilar metal action eventually erodes the bottom of the tanks.

Charlie