[VAC] Re: 50 amp service

Robert,

In simplified laymen's terms, your Airstream will use only the amount of current it requires for operating whatever 110 volt loads you have installed and switched on.  A 50 amp service connection has fuses or breakers that will allow up to a maximum or 50 amps to flow on demand but electricity can't be "forced" through your system unless there is demand for it.  Your A/S has 30 amp breakers or fuses that should only allow 30 amps to flow, even if you create a direct short to ground.

I've never seen an RV park that didn't offer 30 amp service, or sometimes, in primitive older publicly owned parks, only a 15 or 20 amp outlet.  I guess it is possible that you could experience a park with the only available space set-up for large motor homes with 50 amp service and no 30 service spaces available.

You probably already know, some RV dealers and parts suppliers offer a 50 amp to 30 adapter.  It can be handy to carry one because sometimes the only park available when traveling is an old mobile home park with empty spaces improving revenue by offering overnight space to RVers.

Harvey