[VAC] Re: Accumulator Tanks

>  I installed a new ShurFlo pump and accumulator in our trailer during
> our Winter sojurn, replacing the old Jabsco pump. Bottom line: I like it
> a lot and feel that it was well worthwhile. The pump cycles less, even
> though you can draw only about a cup of water before it goes 'on', and
> the water pressure seems much steadier, making it nicer in the shower.

That's pretty much what I thought.  I've found that most pressurized
systems (I'm most familiar with pneumatic ones) work better when there
is a reserve capacity attached to the pump.

> There is usually no cutoff valve on the inlet to the pump from the tank,
> but MAY be a bypass valve after the pump. Its purpose is to allow
> filling of the tank from the city water supply; if you leave it open,
> there will be little or no pressure buildup, especially from the pump,
> as it's just pushing the water back into the tank.

I mentioned the cutoff because the plumbing diagram in the owner's
manual indicates that there should be one.  It was only relevant because
I thought it might be why the water wasn't working.  It turns out that
was because the pump was buggered.  The new shurflo works fine.  Finally
we have water!

> The accumlator and pump came from Camping World and totalled just over
> $100.00, IIRC. Fittings came from the BroadWay Ace Hardware in McAllen,
> TX, all connections were done with 1/2" reinforced tubing. That's the
> stuff that's clear/transparent with some sort of criss-cross
> threads/fibers in it.

How many GPM does it do?  Mine does 5, and was a little more than that
(without the accumulator) from West Marine.  Maybe WM is pricey.  It is
about a mile from my home, though.