[VAC] Re: Why Car & Trailer Battery to Univolt?

Mark,
 I bought that relay at the local NAPA store, just told 'em what I was
wanting to do, that it had to be continous duty, and they fixed me right
up.

If mine is wired like I think it is, powered from the ACC line, it drops
out during cranking. I'd have to test it to be sure, but that's the way
I want it; if the trailer/auxilary battery is low, it'll hurt, not help
when cranking.

Dunno about you, but I want my trailer battery(s) in the trailer, not in
the tow vehicle. The only time that I keep the vehicle connected is if
we're just staying overnight, leaving first thing in the morning. I
suppose I could make a long extension cable so the truck wouldn't have
to be RIGHT in front of the trailer. A site URL was posted here a couple
of weeks ago that showed a similar setup with the guy's 5'er. He had a
bank of Trojan deep-cycle batteries in the bed of his truck and welding
cables to connect them to the trailer. He has an inverter in the trailer
to run a bank of computers for his graphic design business, so needs a
lot of power. The truck had a seperate alternator just for charging the
Trojans.

Your scheme sounds quite doable...

                                    <<Jim>>