[VAC] Re: Tire Clearance

RJ,

I wonder if there was any variation between individual examples of the same
model?  I was able to put radials on my '65 Caravel.  If I recall correctly,
they were 205-R15's, load range C (4 ply).  I've since sold it, and I don't
remember how much clearance there was after the change.  The radials were
shorter and wider than the old 700 x15 LT's, so the main clearance problem
was keeping the side walls from rubbing against the inside skin of the wheel
wells.  The installers used a floor jack, and I seem to remember that they
had to kind of shoe-horn the new tires in, so the clearance may have been a
little too tight for changing on the road.

My (ex) Caravel was made in Santa Fe Springs, and I'm guessing that the
wheel well cutouts may have been slightly different than those of ones made
at Jackson Center.  Comparing the photos on your web site with photos of
mine, it appears that your wheel well cutouts are slightly smaller in both
height and width.  It's kind of hard to tell, because the angles of the
photos aren't exactly the same.  If you look at these photos on my site,
maybe you'll be able to detect a difference in size of the cutouts:

   http://nomoss.com/donhorn/airst.html

Another consideration of changing to radials from bias plies is that radials
will mostly likely be smaller in diameter, and will lower the frame about
1-2 inches.  (I put 6-ply rated 225-R15's on my Avion, and they were still
lower than the 700 x 15 bias tires they replaced).  This can require
adjusting the height of the hitch ball accordingly, as well as exercising a
little more care about clearance when driving over uneven ground.   If
you're bumping the rear of the frame going into your driveway with bias
tires, it will only be worse with radials.

Don