[VAC] Re: Blackwater Tank Repair

Jason,

The tank in my '66 Safari and my daughter's '72 Overlander are polyethylene.  Some of the tanks, however, were constructed of ABS and can be repaired.  Cecil in Oklahoma says in a related post that his is ABS.

I have submitted my tank problem to the list for suggestions, searched all over the US for an original replacement, and talked with at least two dozen knowledgeable Airstream mechanics and experienced do-it-yourselfers about the problem.  I have discussed my tank problem with a local A/S mechanic and went as far as driving from Lubbock to Dallas last week to show my tank to the experts at North Dallas RV, a former A/S dealer and now A/S factory authorized service center.  The conclusion, in all cases, is that successful repair of a damaged poly tank, like mine and apparently yours, is possible but not likely.  I was told that tank repair kits can sometimes be used with success but when the top of the tank has a series of major cracks radiating away from the toilet flange, as mine does, and the drain valve stub is completely broken off, as mine is, the chance of getting a good and lasting seal is remote.  Skillful patching and sealing with silicone caulk might work for awhile but stresses caused by adding and removing weight to the toilet flange and travel flexing and the stresses of opening and closing the dump valve, would seem, to me, to be a little more than could be expected of silicone seal.
Airstream has no replacement tanks although you might possibly get lucky and find a sharp veteran parts manager at an A/S dealer around the nation who has an old one stored in the attic.

I located a local metal fabricator who agreed to build a new tank of stainless steel for a reasonable price, under $200, but I wasn't certain how well stainless would hold up over the long-term with the caustic contents of the holding tank sloshing around.  I figured A/S must have had some reason for using ABS or poly tanks, maybe it was only price.

I purchased a new poly tank which has similar exterior dimensions but does not include the notch at the center rear of the tank which provides space within the tank cover housing and within the trailer's underbody for the gate valve and the connection where the gray water plumbing line attaches to the holding tank dump plumbing downstream of the gate valve.  My solution will be to reroute the gray water line, reduce it in size, drop it through the right rear corner of the trunk area, extend it into the bumper hose compartment, then route it to the center and attach it to the holding tank drain line.  All will be by backyard engineering.

I have not completed installation of my tank.  I just received the new tank Monday, picked up the new tank cover from a local sheet metal bender yesterday, but am waiting for the return of my original toilet which is being overhauled by a friend and A/S mechanic.  I think the new tank can be successfully installed and connected.

Inland RV is a source of many difficult or nearly impossible to find A/S parts but I agree, $445 seemed excessive to me also.  Charlie Burke, an A/S dealer parts manager is subscriber to this list, Charlie might be able to get one for you.

I'll be happy to continue to discuss your repair with you if I can offer any additional information but, unfortunately, I don't have a perfect solution either.

Harvey Barlow