[VAC] Pricing for Vintage Units - 63 Bambi $4000 - LONG

I think it is great that you are undertaking this task
but I also think it is a difficult one.  Because of
the wide range of operational issues - I think it is
important to try to document the condition of each
unit not only the sales price.

There was a note on a list several months ago about a
lawyer who was selling an Airstream on Ebay - took
pictures from all the right angles and was asking a
premium for a wreck.  So I think it is nearly
impossible to purchase a unit site unseen - with this
many members (also Hunter's list) I would think you
could find a volunteer to inspect (look at) the unit
for you.  In Illinois/Wisconsin area, I will!!

While I was researching my purchase - some units that
appeared to be steals - listed in good condition with
only a broken refrig ended up having several creases
and broken windows.  Part of the price consideration
is what needs to be restored and whether you have the
time, money and skills to make the repairs.  I don't
think I could replace my 63 Bambi for what I paid for
it $4000 but I am sure there are many who would
disagree.  Also, the increase between a $4000 and a
$5000 Bambi may be worth the $ but not if you don't
have it to spend.

I purchased a 63 Bambi - ready to use - working
refrig, stove, oven, shower - no toilet - windows,
vents, hot water heater (disconnected but
operational), univolt - custom/functional floor plan
in the style of the Burro.  The refrig needs to be lit
directly on the pilot as push button thingy doesn't
work.  (See my experience level).  A small dent in the
front lower which can be pushed out and the wheel
wells slightly bent out to fit a replacement tire from
Kmart rather than the Airstream customs.  I also have
a seller who is willing to help me with handyman
issues as they arise and spent at least an hour/maybe
two helping this novice get acquainted with the unit.

My rationale - ready to camp in - this unit had been
used and loved recently (owner purchased something
plusher), ready for a camping experience, slept three
(tightly) and in neat/clean/functional condition.  And
No creases - so can be polished.

In hindsite the original ad said interior redone - I
would have asked if redone interior meant original
condition (which I assumed)- it wasn't but it didn't
matter.  After I purchased it - left the check to pick
it up the following weekend - someone offered $500
more just by looking at the pictures over the
Internet.  Lucky for me, my seller wanted someone who
was going to use and enjoy it and felt a deal was a
deal.  I wasn't going to offer more as $4000 was my
limit.

We have used it only a few times since we purchased it
in August, but we love it!  As soon as the snow melts,
I am cleaning it up and stocking it for this year.
Since it is already custom, I feel I can do ANYTHING I
want but I don't know what that is (ideas?)

Just my experience....

Thanks,

Sharon Ivey
63 Bambi (?)
I am going to get the serial numbers so I can learn
more about it.