[VAC] Re: Tow vehicle for 1956 Overlander

I've towed trailers with stick shifts for decades, and much prefer
them--especially when you're underpowered and need all the power out of the
engine you can get. That said, a stick is only an advantage if you know how
to drive one well under load. Mainly, you need to be careful not to toast
the clutch by reving the engine too much when starting. Use only enough
throttle to keep the revs at idle speed when clutching out, and heel-and-toe
the brake‹or use the emergency brake‹when starting on a grade. The only time
an automatic has an advantage, I think, is when backing very slowly up hill,
which can get a clutch pretty toasty. The ford V-10 with a stick would be
great, because that engine has lots of low-end tourque to get you going.

On the other hand, how much difference in fuel milage are you going to get
vs. the auto? If it's mileage you're looking for, you could get by with a
hell of a lot smaller tow vehicle. I tow my 26' argosy with a Chevy caprice
wagon, and get 20 mpg @75mph when I'm not towing. I doubt a V-10 can do
that. Also, if you can afford to spend that much on a tow vehicle to begin
with, the difference in fuel prices between an auto and a stick are pretty
academic. If you want to save money, there are lots of other ways to make a
much bigger difference.

Dan Weeks
'75 Argosy 26