[VAC] Re: New Bambi not particle board.

After the hurricane that rumbled through Miami, OSB is no longer
accepted by their building codes as roof sheathing. Seems like the rain
softened it and staples (also no longer accepted for sheathing
attachment) pulled through it unroofing houses. Nearby houses with
plywood nailed in place by the rules of nailing plywood (lots of nails)
didn't loose roofs as often.

Tile for floors generally specifies plywood for the floor deck and does
not accept OSB because its not considered as stiff as plywood.

There is enough price differential between OSB and plywood that I've
bought 3/4 OSB for my new house but while its rated to span 24" between
joists, my joists will be on 16" centers to improve its stiffness. For
areas where I may wish to apply tile, I'll probably go buy plywood, but
I may just paint the tile pattern and leave it wood.

OSB floor decking is generally not sanded as smooth as plywood so will
probably need an overlayment of masonite or thin particle board to be a
flat surface for vinyl tile or sheet goods, though there is a concrete
type of floor leveler that may be cheaper and as good as the
overlayment. I'll learn about those someday. maybe the OSB can be sanded
smooth after installation. Need to be living on the subfloor first so I
can stop paying rent and excessive heat from lack of insulation in this
old house.

Gerald J.