[VAC] Glass thickness, 1962

This re: my 1962 Globe Trotter's Hehr 1200 series (Mark 12) flat glass
windows-

I figured out how to measure the thickness of my original (still in tight
with factory mastic) flat glass panes. It's .090", meaning single strength
glass. That may explain SOME of the difficulty I was having working in the
new Hehr 009-311 glazing bead on the broken pane I replaced with double
strength (.125") glass.

This new material (009-311 glazing bead) certainly appears to be more than
cosmetic as I install it on my windows, although the original brittle
plastic stuff didn't seem to be doing much. If the factory mastic tape
adhering the glass pane to the frame has a good continuous seal, that would
stop water. The mastic has let loose in a few little spots on some of my
windows, but just small spots. The glass is VERY hard to get out if the
mastic is still doing its job, so I'm not removing the original panes.  I'll
do a little spot caulking there. But the new rubber glazing bead (009-311)
I'm installing (outside the glass) does appear to perform the functions of
helping to hold the pane firmly into the frame (whether it was meant to or
not), as well as being an additional seal against moisture getting around
the edge of the pane.

Bob H.
'62 Globe Trotter in SC