[VAC] Spec. for orig. window glass, 1962

I spent about 30 minutes browsing Tom P.'s archives for answers to these, but couldn't seem to find solutions.

I'm reassembling my 1962 Hehr flat glass windows, installing the rubber glass retainer material from Hehr.
I had 2 side window panes which had apparently been wiped out in a hail storm and replaced with new glass (not very well, & not by Airstream).

As I was preparing to reinstall these (2) 18" x 29" panes into their frames (they were loose once the cruddy old glazing putty was removed) I noticed that the glass was a little too long in both directions. It didn't match up with the original panes. I cut them down to fit the l x w dimensions, but now I wonder if it's even the right thickness.  They look like plain old single strength window glass. What was the original glazing in these windows, and what are my options for replacement? I don't want Lexan unless it's necessary.

I reglued another pane into its frame (this one was the right size) using black weatherstrip adhesive, but it doesn't have the "body" I wish it did. The originals appear to be installed using a fiber reinforced rubber gasket strip measuring about 1/4" wide and a little less than 1/16th" thick. This 3M-type weatherstrip adhesive I'm using, aside from being miserable stuff to work with, doesn't maintain any significant thickness when it dries, and the glass ends up bearing on a small aluminum ridge in the frame, instead of sitting slightly above it as in the original. What has anyone else had luck using to seal/attach the glass pane into the frame? I remember Roy L. talking about someone using Vulkem in a large bore plastic syringe, which I have not yet tried but will if that's the best idea out there. I'm not really interested in using silicone. Someone mentioned a black butyl rubber caulk a while back, but I've never been able to find it. Closest I could find was roofers shingle repair adhesive caulk, but I don't think that's butyl

Advice ... as always, greatly appreciated.

Bob Harper
'62 Globe Trotter in SC