[VAC] Re: Trailer hitches and sway control

Hi,

For 9 years I used a Reese dual cam system with two sway friction bars
and was quite happy with them.  I attended several seminars about the
Hensley and my opinion was they were "OK" but awfully expensive.  Heard
a lot of good and only a little bad.  The bad was the frustration
several people had with trying to hook up when both the trailer and tow
vehicle are not plumb or even.  One person even went so far as to get
rid of his Hensley due to the problems he had over a 2 year period.  I
also thought "well the other hitches have been here for xx years and
provided the driver pays attention and keeps the speed down, they will
do the job just great.

In Mar 2000 I had our hitch bars and head stolen off the trailer while
in what I thought was a secure military campground in San Antonio, TX.
I called my dealer in Canada and he advised me not to go back to the
Reese as the head was no longer solid steel but not cast iron and it
would be longer resulting in more sway.  So I bought an EZ Lift and also
used my two friction bars (they did not get those).  Even when
professionally set up I found it worse than the Reese, I had more sway
and was afraid I would have an accident.  Then I came across a used
Hensley and decided to go for it.

I have been very happy with the Hensley but only have maybe 3,000 miles
experience so far.  Comparing it to the Reese I would say on a scale of
1-10 with 10 being the trailer sway I had with the Reese when 18
wheelers passed me, the Hensley had about a 3 or 4.  Also I found the
ride harder, ie there was less bouncing up and down with the Hensley
probably due to the stiffer and different setup.  I now feel safer and
more confident with the Hensley and simply hope that if I ever get into
an emergency situation it will be better than my other hitches were.
Thats what the Hensley video seems to indicate.

Hope that gives one person's perspective.

Don McKelvay #19432 & VAC
76 31' Sovereign
London, Ontario