[VAC] Trailer hitches and sway control

In the late 70's I purchased a used 1976 25' Land Yacht which I towed for
several years with a full size Chevy Blazer.  The hitch I used was a Reese
with an EZ Lift friction sway contol.  Then, at Les Grimes suggestion, I
added the Reese dual cam system.  [At that time, Les owned a service center
which the Cerritos Airstream factory sent customers with brake or hitch
problems, so I never questioned Les's expertise.]

I never had a serious sway problem with either the friction only sway
control or the combination of friction and dual cam.

Note that the dual cam system can be easily added to the standard Reese
equalizing hitch.

Unfortunately, I have not used my trailer for several years (but will be
getting it back on the road soon - this time with a different tow vehicle).

I think it is fair to say that the stability of the tow vehicle will have a
lot to do with the stability of the entire rig (tow vehicle and trailer).
Also, the weight and wheelbase of the tow vehicle relative to the length and
weight of the trailer.

  I have always been one to op for firmer (stiffer) suspensions with heavy
duty shock absorbers and front and rear sway bars on the tow vehicle. These
tow vehicle sway bars virtually eliminate vehicle lean which is important to
the control of the tow vehicle.  Auto makers often offer rear sway bars as
an option, and there are two major sources of aftermarket sway bars - ADDCO
in Florida, and Hellwig in Visalia, CA. [Note: all of the super European
road cars have front and rear sway bars as standard equipment.  Domestic
cars and trucks tend to come with only light duty front sway bars.]  Also,
good tires with the appropriate rims help too, along with proper wheel
alignment and wheel balancing.  It goes without saying that the front
suspension must be in good shape - no excess play in any of the front end
components. Likewise, one should check the rear suspension linkages too.

Meanwhile, I have become interested in the advertisements for the Hensley
Arrow hitch, which is very very expensive, compared to the standard Reese or
EZ Lift weight equalizing hitches.

Does anyone have any experience with the Hensley hitch?  I would be very
interested in your observations and experience.

Oliver Filippi
WBCCI #2141