[VAC] Re: motorcycle attachment

Phillip,

I'm not a mechanical engineer or even an aircraft loadmaster but I am a
lover of old A/Ss and don't want to see one damaged or it's owner become
disappointed.

I would not recommend extending the rear frame and hanging that much weight
on the extension.  Compensating with a similar amount of weight on the
tongue would even acerbate the problem.  A 24' A/S with single axle is
already placing a lot of weight on a relatively short section of frame and
adding an additional 350 or more pounds would seem to place a lot of bending
force on the frame.  Early A/Ss had a lot of extra capacity and tolerance
for abuse designed in but you are likely to bend the frame or at least pull
out some 1/4 20 bolts and rivets that secure the rear of the body to the
frame crossmember when that much weight bounces over road irregularities.

If you can get the bike inside and properly secured over the axle that would
be a better solution.  I would, however, place a piece of 1/2" or thicker
plywood, as wide as the walkway and six or more feet long, on top of the
floor in the center of the trailer where you will park the bike.  That would
help distribute the weight over a greater section of floor and over more
frame members.

Harvey