[VAC] Re: reply to old message Shell-off

Toby -
As i went through some of my old 'mail', i found your message, to which i
don't think i've replied; so i'm going to, now:

After removing the belly pan last summer, and with the onset of cold
weather, I lowered the Clipper back onto its wheels, so i could move it
around a bit, until i found a place in the back yard where it can 'live'
through the restoration process... at least until it's rolling again.

When it's time to lift the shell off, I plan to do it as follows:

1) Cut away sections of the floor, leaving a 'lattice' pattern of old floor
material across the width and length of the trailer, and attached at the
edges to the shell. If there's not enough 'lattice' to hold the shell in
shape, i'll make some X-frame cross-members and vertical supports to the
roof, to brace the shell in shape...

2) Jack the whole thing up 24" - 30" off the ground, fabricate a couple, or
three, or four steel brackets which will mount between the pipe/'keel', and
the floor/shell, and which drop down over either side of the main pipe, with
2.5" holes for the insertion of a length of black iron pipe which runs
perpendicular to the 'keel'...

3) With the ends of each pipe supported on a pair of sawhorses, I'll go
under the trailer, and detach the frame from the floor/shell whereever it
may still be attached, and cut away the aluminum c-channel frame members
where they're still attached to the pipe (not many)...

4) Lower the trailer truck and frame to the ground, leaving the shell 'high
and dry'.

5) Roll the truck/frame out from under the shell.

6) I intend to build the new frame around the old pipe, using square
aluminum tubing, ladder-frame with the old pipe in place, with a new
Dura-torque axle.

7) With the shell off, and high and dry, free of the frame, I plan to
engineer a new system to attach the shell to the 'deck', which will be
constructed separately right on the frame...

8) With the new frame/truck, with new floor attached to IT, i'll cut away
the remainder of the old floor, and install the new shell mounting system to
the shell, roll the new frame/floor under the shell, and jack it UP almost
to the shell, remove the shell supports, and lower it a couple of inches to
the new floor...

9) I plan to mount all tanks/plumbing/wiring ABOVE the floor-level, so the
belly-pan can be insulated and sealed, and all mechanicals may be accessed
from above.

9) Still strongly favoring an electric radiant floor heating system,
hidden/vented Onan propane-fired generator, and hidden/vented A/C at
floor-level.

Hard to explain in words, and i imagine i'll find some ideas as i go... i'll
document the whole thing with stills and video....

Tuna
'49 Clipper
wbcci #8862, VAC