[VAC] Re: '64 GlobeTrotter home from Maine

HI,

It sounds as if you might have the back-up light output wired to your brake
line.  From my '64 A/S manual, the brakes were wired to the center pin on
the trailer side, a yellow wire. The current standard (i.e., on your truck)
has the center pin labeled as "auxiliary," which might be used for backup
lights.  You could try putting a test light on this pin on your truck
connector and shift into reverse.  If it lights, then you should make sure
that this pin doesn't connect to your trailer brakes.

Here's the connector info that was in my '65 manual.  Although your wire
colors may have been changed, it proved to be exactly right for my '65
Caravel:

>  1  White--ground
>  C  Yellow--brake
>  2  Blue--charge line
>  6  Brown--right turn & stop
>  4  Black--backup
>  3  Green--running lights
>  5  Red--left turn & stop
>
> Below is the numbering diagram for the (old) trailer plug.  The detent or
> ridge on the plug housing is between 4 and 3.  This is for a connector with
> seven round pins.
>
>               _
>             4   3
>            6  C  5
>             2   1

I'd ignore the diagram, and check each wire on the trailer side with a 12v
battery with an inline fuse, and verify the function of each, and rewire to
match the output on your tow vehicle plug.  (I'll try to attach a diagram of
the current standard configuration).

Don