[VAC] Re: Fridge restoration

Hi Debbie,

I have successfully modified an "antique" 1957 Marvel fridge and had two
Dometics rebuilt at a local RV appliance shop in San Leandro CA during
the last 20 years  - it can be done.  It's not an Internet kind of
experience yet, it requires finding an RV dealer who specializes in
appliance repair (our Yellow Pages has 3) and/or an RV junkyard.  You
have to do it yourself, as fewer and fewer shops exist that take pride
in fixing stuff that can't be fixed.  Too many worries about liability,
warranty and shop book rates.

What it takes is a good candidate to fix:  the case, shelves and door
need to be sound and the gas (ammonia) portion needs to be intact with
no leakage.  How do you tell?  You would have smelled ammonia for awhile
if it was a slow leak, other than that you have to rely on a visible
inspection for damage to the tubing or coils.  It is the source of heat
that can be fixed the easiest.  Now is the time to become familiar with
the operation of an RV ridge.  I suggest starting at:

http://www.nh3tech.org/abs.html

The fridge needs to be worked on up on a workbench.  It doesn't go back
into the trailer until it proves to work there using an LP tank and a
12v battery/110v power (if applicable).  In most cases the problem can
be addressed by cleaning and adjusting the burner and valve assy where
you can see it.  If the burner is a total rust pile, a modern burner
from the RV store can be adapted - that's how we fixed the Dometics,
used a newer Dometic ceramic burner assy in place of the pile of rust
that used to be the old burner assy.  A little bracket & plumbing
adaptation and it worked just fine.  In the other Dometic it required
replacement of the valve assay as it had been left out in the rain and
was messed up pretty bad.  Again, a new Dometic  valve mounted under the
old carcass.  Adapted the knobs and faceplate, and it looked original.

The Marvel was the masterpiece work.  It was in a 1956 Dalton travel
Trailer I restored for my folks 10 years ago.  (Imagine an 18' huge
Teardrop with all wood interior).  The original was 110v, but by using a
new Dometic that had been dropped and damaged as a donor, I took the
parts from it and replaced the 110v only coil heater with the 110v/LPG
heater section of the Dometic.  I might have snapshots of that beauty
(imagine chrome and dark brown enamel paint).

The biggest area of concern is matching the point of heat from the new
burner and heaters to the point on the absorption tube that the original
assembly used.  Next critical point is the chimney - it has to draft or
draw the heat upwards through the heat chamber and out and away from the
evaporation coils.

Finally, the safety and security of the installation.  No room for
shortcuts here.  The LP lines need to be done right, everything secured,
and clearances for the hot areas maintained.

Is this for everyone?  Probably not, but if you are mechanicaly inclined
or can find a willing shop, the results are great.   In our latest
restoration (the '65 Caravel), someone had busted the inside of the
door, took out the shelves, and bent the cooling tubes in the M16
Dometic - it was way too far gone.  I salvaged all the parts I could
(for next time) and installed a new Dometic.  It looks nice, but you
know, all that plastic is just out of place in the mahogany and enameled
steel galley of the Caravel.  I can guarantee that it will not last as
lng as the original too.  There was a big difference in quality (&
complexity) between the two.  You can see that installation at:

http://www.VintageAirstream.com/rr_topics_refer.html

Best of luck,
RJ