[VAC] Replacing carpet.

I have a 1969 27 foot International.  I am about to replace the carpet
due to popular demand.  It is dingy and full of smoke odor.  There are
no known leaks or rotten spots.

Here is my plan:

Strip the carpet.
Replace with vinyl in the bathroom and under the cabinets and under the
couch.
Put down new carpet in the living areas outside of the bathroom.

Here are my questions:
- Does the carpet come up easily?
- What can I expect to find under the carpet? Will it come up easily and
will there be a glue residue that needs to be cleaned up?
- How should I stick down the new carpet?
- What about peel and stick floor tiles for floor in the cabinets and
the bath?
- Any good ideas for getting rid of that residual smoke odor?

Thanks
Ed Farrell