[VAC] Re: deadbolt, and rekeying a lockset

Let me start up a discussion that was going before the list went on
hiatus.

I own a 1969 27' International.  It has the original Airstream lockset
in the door,  which has a handle with "Airstream" cast into it on the
outside, and a small flat handle on the inside.  The only indication of
a brand name is the label "Chesler T-5". The key says "Chesler, Woodmere
NY, made in Hong Kong". Shocking as it may be that imported parts were
used by Airstream, the device either is OEM or is a factory authorized
replacement. It is also possible  that the cylinder may  imported, while
the
lockset is domestic.

As a sheer guess,  it resembles a modern Bargman, although knobs have
now replaced handles.  It is built like the proverbial brick outhouse
and works fine except the cylinder in the center of the handle no longer
takes a key.   The keyway (ie the slot that the key goes into)  wore out
and and all the little pins and springs fell out or rusted away.   I do
not want to replace it.  But I do want to find a replacement cylinder.
Cylinders are replaced all the time, it is just a matter of finding one
that fits.  As a second guess, there probably is a cylinder out there in
the world that would fit, it just takes a locksmith willing to spend the
hours to match one up.

Plan A:

Sombody might know where to get a cylinder.

Plan B :
Many people advised me to put in a deadbolt.  This is also attractive to
me, except it requires a fairly big hole that must be precisely aligned
and it would be difficult to set it up so that the interior knob was
accessible through the screen door.  If I go this route Home Depot has a
commercial deadbolt in brushed Stainless steel for about $12.

Plan C:
I remembered that I have a working cylinder that takes the same type of
key in a T-handle that I replaced for some reason.  Maybe I can switch
cylinders.

                    Ed Farrell