[VAC] deadbolt

Hi to everyone. I'm a new subscriber and I have learned much just from reading this list.
 I have been living fulltime in my 70 Safari for over a year now and I don't think I can ever live in anything square again. I have a question about installing a deadbolt in my trailer. I've seen some pictures of some trailers of my vintage with the deadbolt installed in the wall next to the door with the bolt going into the door. Is this the accepted practice to get the inside bolt where you can get to it with the screen opening being filled by the door latch or is there a way to get it into the door. Any advice would be much appreciated.