[VAC] Re: Vintage brakes and seals

Bill,

Unfortunately, the new seals that I got from the trailer manufacturer where
I purchased the bearings turned out to be too large in diameter.  It was the
end of a long day and I was putting everything back together when I realized
the seals didn't fit.  I didn't want to take the risk of getting debris in
the new and newly packed bearings after inserting them in the hubs and also
didn't want to misplace anything so I just cleaned, inspected, and
reinstalled the originals.  The sealing surface was still pliant and seemed
okay. I was planning to go back another day and exchange the seals before I
remount my newly painted wheels and new tires.  You told me what I hadn't
yet discovered.  I didn't realize the seals were that difficult to find.
Now I'm not sure how to proceed.  I don't really want to leave the old used
seals in on a permanent basis and, like you, I don't want to pay $35/seal.

Does anyone else on the list have an answer?

Harvey