[VAC] Re: Break the bank Bambi

The per unit cost of doing small repair jobs is
virtually always considerably more than manufacturing
an entire unit.  I therefore don't view the projected
cost figures to be an indication of realistic pricing
levels.  And I would agree it would be difficult to
begin a new trailer manufacturing business.  In a
sense however, those who are in the business of
rebuilding the gem quality vintage Airstream trailers
are doing exactly that.  And they are doing it at a
profit and at a cost to the customer far less than new
units.

More importantly perhaps is that the end product
offers something that is unique and exudes quality,
style, and innovation.  These are qualities all too
often lacking in the Thor Airstream units.  Production
Airstreams are good products, and there is obviously a
steady market for them.  They do not however meet
everyones needs, particularly those who are members of
this board.  And they certainly are distant cousins of
the Bowlus and early Wally Byam trailers.  One just
has to look at the traffic generated on this board
about the new Interior Design interiors or the
exchange of ideas and suggestions on how to best
restore vintage trailers.  If only we could find a way
to regenerate the original innovative and bold spirit
of the Wally Byam Airstreams.  If Thor doesn't wakeup
to this fact, perhaps someone else will and produce a
new product that meets those needs.  In the mean time,
there are all those vintage Airstream trailers out
there just waiting for some tlc and ready to link the
present with the past.

jerry