[VAC] Re: hydro flame heater

Chris,
     If the burner is jumping off the oriface
(no make that FLAME :)  ) you probably want to check the gas pressure ,
which is nominally 11 " of Water Column) but even before that, check the
vent and fresh air intake to make sure they are clear, then adjust the air &
gas mixture to a "richer"  mix. Normally with L.P. when you get a flame that
is lifting & jetting (kind of makes a roaring sound, or is noisey as it
burns) the air gas mixture is too lean. All you need to do in that case, is
to close the air shutter on your burner enough to calm the flame.
Incidentally, do you have any trouble with hard ignition, does the burner
whoose or thump when it ignites ? This is also indicative of a lean air gas
mix. But before you do anything,make darn sure your flue/ fresh air vent are
clear....critters love to nest in them, especially after a period of
storage.
    When I checked my '68 Caravel out , I was fortunate in that the furnace
worked perfectly, and my flue was clear. If you have any other questions
don't hesitate to ask,I would be happy to go out and look at mine to give
you more specific answers. Also, do not under any circumstances, clean the
burner oriface with a drill or pin , unless you know ( have traning) the
procedure. I rteplace a lot of orifaces that have been damaged by well
meaning people who are trying to clean them . Blowing the oriface out with
compressed air is about the safest way to get any crud out. I've got to
leave for work. more on cleaning orifaces later. Happy Trails , James