[VAC] Soft Floor Under Shower/Tub

This is something I found out about my Avion today, but it may also apply to
vintage Airstreams.  I told Bill Cayo of Cayo Repair that the floor under my
shower/tub felt as if it weren't supported, and that it flexed under my
feet.  I thought that this was a sign that the flooring below the tub had
rotted, but he said not necessarily.

Foam was originally installed beneath the tub, to support the bottom and to
aid in slanting it for proper drainage.  He said that it's common for the
foam to decompose and cease to support the floor of the tub, causing it to
give, as mine does.  He also said there is little point in replacing the
foam.  (I imagine it would be a lot of work, and if not done very carefully,
could mar the appearance of the tub).  Since I haven't detected any leaks in
the skin or inside my shower (yet), and the rest of my floor is solid, I
won't worry about this anymore.

I wonder if anyone on the list has pulled their tub, and if so, what they
found underneath it?

Don
'63 Avion 20-ft.