[VAC] Re: Airstream Falcon

Richard, thanks for the picture from Brians book. I am sending a copy of my
reply to the VACList as I think that this may be of general interest.

I hate to say this, I REALLY hate to say this. Brian (or whoever labled the
picture) is mistaken. This is not a 1964 Airstream. Take a look at the
picture. The door handle is a Bargman L-77. It was not used after 1960.
Every 1960 with the original handle I have seen has the L-77, The 1961
models have not. By then they switched to the Bargman 100 (round knob). The
windows shown are also not from 1964, they were not even used on the 1960
models. They are however the windows used in the 50's. Also take a look at
the roof vent for the furnace. It is also 50's style. From looking at the
furnace vent it appears that the furnace is one of the free standing style
furnaces. I have not seen them used after 1959.

You are right though, the pictured trailer is not 22 feet long. I would
guess it to be 18 feet, or possibly a foot shorter. Given this I would
venture a guess that this trailer is actually a '58 or '59 Pacer (17 foot),
or Traveler/Caravel (18 foot). It is possible that it is a 1960 model, but
since it has the late 50's window and furnace, I doubt it. The only thing
that suggests to me that this is a 1960 model is the door handle. I know it
was used in 1960, I just don't know if it was used before then.

The only other time I saw a double decked window similiar to the one
pictured was on a 1960 Overlander with a fold down bunk bed (not one of the
canvas style ones seen in newer Vintage units). It had the same windows my
'60 has on it, not the 50's style ones like this trailer does.

Scott Scheuermann
1960 Overlander