[VAC] Re: Power Inverters and Batteries

Dave,
 First of all, let's get our terms straight. You're talking about a "power
CONVERTER", which takes 115 Volts AC from the wall socket and makes 12 Volts
DC for your lights, etc. in the trailer. At the same time, it charges the
battery (more or less: that's another subject)

A "power INVERTER" takes the 12VDC from your battery and makes 115VAC for a
TV/VCR, blender, etc.

Nearly all of us have a converter in our trailers, only a few have
inverters.

On to your question: the older UniVolt converters are of a design that hums
rather loudly and gets warm during operation. That's pretty normal for them.

More modern converters don't hum and run cool, especially under light or
moderate load. Some incorporate (or ARE) 3-stage battery chargers; if you
care about your battery(s), you should strongly consider installing one of
these instead of your old unit.

                                                                  <<Jim>>