[VAC] Re: Airstream Roadshow '48 Weewind

Tom, you've captured the essence of my present dilemma, with a nice
counterpoint from Trike. I've got a '49 Clipper with a completely rotted
floor, and will require a completely new truck/frame. It is a factory (Los
Angeles) custom job, in that it had a porcelain/steel bathtub at the rear,
which was completely original. The Coleman stove and Marvel 'fridge are in
good working order. The original water heater must have exploded at some
point, because the floor surrounding its location is gone, and charred
around the edges. It had a later addition above-floor blackwater tank (the
toilet was never installed), and a later addition sears glass-lined
watertank with a 12 volt pressurizing pump. No holding tanks... water from
the bath, bathroom sink, and kitchen sink drained directly to the ground...

The comprehensive photo documentation i'd made before gutting it was
destroyed by an email-vectored 'worm', so i have only a few photos of the
original interior. I did carefully remove all the woodwork, cabinetry, and
appliances, with an eye toward replacing/duplicating them, in the interests
of 'historical preservation'...

But I keep asking myself, What would Wally do? Given that one of his many
maxims was 'Never Leave Well Enough Alone', I suspect that he would bring to
bear his not inconsiderable ingenuity to incorporate as much innovation to
the project as he could muster...

So, at present, I'm inclined to proceed with a 'refurbish' rather than a
'restoration'... to restore the exterior to mint condition, with a high
polish, retaining the 'pipe-frame' hitch, and all visible parts to original
appearance...

But the interior - I think Wally would approve whatever modifications made
the trailer more comfortable and efficient, and enjoyable for the owner...

my $.02...

Tuna
wbcci #8862, VAC