[VAC] Re: Airstream Roadshow '48 Weewind

Here, here!
I have been trying gently to spread the word to fellow VAC members.  I feel
that it is fine to remodel or even remuddle models that are in plentiful supply
for our personal enjoyment and use.  In fact, that is the driving force behind
the VAC "movement".     However, there is a point where we have a
responsibility not to rip out the interior and radically modify the exterior of
our rarer models.   One of a kind items need conservation, not restoration and
rehab that destroys their history.  Anyone finding something unique and
special, needs to carefully consider what they will do with a larger
responsibility  in mind.
     If we found the only remaining model of an early car we'd get the picture
because there is an already established market and club resources.  Even early
car enthusiasts are starting to seek out and spend enormous sums for cars that
have been fairly well cared for, but not ever restored and, as the English say
"tarted up."
    Trust me, I am not a purist nor a fanatic - I enjoy and was heartily amused
by the overdone Spartan with the lava lamps and black velvet Elvis in leopard
skin frame.  I'd just make a plea to any of us who finds a really rare and
original model to go slowly and not do anything irreversible to it.  Even the
more plentiful models will be winnowed down by attrition and remodeling so that
fewer and fewer will be original.
     It would be good for the club and for future Airstreamers if we all keep a
log in our babies that has photos and descriptions of the process and what we
did to the trailers.  Save original fabrics and pass samples on to me, make
sure the archives get photocopies of documents.  Send in your Vac Newsletter
data sheets so we can clear up questions that  we all hear every week on this
list.
     "What color was the paint?" "What was the original window here?"  "Where
was this made?" "What year?" "What did the curtains look like?"  "Did this
model have a black tank?"  "Where was the couch?"  "Bunk beds?"  "Hot water?"
"Boondocking?"
      A significant amount of the energy (aside from the countless
man/woman-hours lavished on restoration and mechanical fixes) of members is
made in an effort the build and maintain a body of knowledge about our little
bit of aluminum addiction.  To that end I make a plea to be careful with our
rarest examples and, reinforce that plea with one for enlightened self
interest.....................remember that Highboy and think about that
Bughatti that is worth $2.5 million untouched as opposed to the redone one
worth a mere $350 thousand  dollars. O.K., I'll shut up now.
Tom Walden