[VAC] Ants away?

Hi Jim,

In your note, you asked:

> What product(s) do you use to keep the ants away?

Jim, the most readily available (not cheapest) product I've found is Comet or Ajax cleanser (without
bleach), liberally shaken around (not on) each point of contact with the ground (4 tires and 5
jacks). Additionally, I hang the water line hose, plus the tv and electric cord on anything handy.
The two water filters are secured in two stainless steel hangers attached to the Airstream's bumper
(I bought the custom made hangers at a WBCCI flea market).

For me, the name of the game is "no accessible pathways." The drain hose is supported with 1/2 of
several sections of PVC 3" pipe placed on top of a pile of painted wooden blocks (4" x 1" x 2")
surrounded by ajax cleanser. If I'm really compulsive, I daub a circle of vasoline around the water,
tv and electric cords before they reach the Airstream. The black electric and tv cords seem to be
preferred by ants, perhaps because the cords absorb more heat than the water or drain lines.

Lately, I've been using one of the granule ant killer products (biodegradable). Occasionally, all of
my best efforts don't work, but usually they do. We know some folks put little tin can ant traps
around strategically - before or after ants have moved in, but we haven't had occasion to do that.

Undoubtedly, there are other techniques. My preference is simple solutions with common products.

Terry