[VAC] West System epoxy

I belong to a sailing e-mail list, and received the following posting from that list today.  What caught my eye was the reference to treating wood.  I have seen the product, but have never used it.  Sounds like it might substitute for "Git Rot".

Good point Steve..

I hadn't put all the details in there about
using West System epoxy.
(they  fill a small book)

Indeed, I 'washed down' with special
prep solvent between coats to get rid
of the film that develops as the epoxy cures.

By way of general info...
Let me say this to everyone...

--------West System  =  good stuff ---------

West System is a wonderful (almost miraculous)
product.  It's strong, impervious to water, when
thinned it penetrates deeply into  wood and makes
the native wood stronger, repairs rot and damage etc.

-------But,  stuff to remember -----------

It's NOT as 'forgiving of error' as
conventional fiberglass resins.

Most marine stores that carry it will have a little
stack of instruction booklets handy.

Be sure to read and follow all the instructions..
and MIX the components in the proper ratios !

Also, the epoxy is 'sensitive' to the UV in sunlight.
It should be painted if exposed to sunlight !

Hope everyone has an enjoyable thanksgiving.

bb

-Tom

mailto:tom@tompatterson.com
Website: http://www.tompatterson.com